Assistive Technology Lab
The Assistive Technology Lab (ATL) is set up in collaboration with UMass, Lowell is a part of Sri Vishnu Educational Society, to utilize the skills of every engineering department of the college for the development of Assistive Technology.
Assitive Technology Lab in BVRIT and SVECW is thus a result society’s progressive thinking, which paved the way for a MOU between the University of Massachusetts and BVRIT. Professor Alan Rux, founder of the Assistive Technology Program at the University of Massachusetts, Lowell, USA would spend 4 – 6 weeks’ time every year along with his research scholars at ATL in BVRIT, SVECW to guide the students.
Assistive Technology Lab at BVRIT and SVECW are setup in a very peaceful and ambient atmosphere with high end personal computers with Internet connectivity and sophisticated electronic components like CRO, RPS, micro-controllers and also imported electronic components that are unavailable in India, thus ensuring high productivity. According to Prof. Alan Rux, engineering students all over the world should be encouraged to undertake various projects in the field of Assistive Technology and make its impact felt.
Projects undertaken by ATL
|Electronic Knee||Electronic Learning Tool|
|Virtual Mouse||Alcohol Detector|
|Alerting Device For Deaf||Safety Screen Proposal (Hostellers)|
|Motorized Wheel Chair By Using Sip&Puff Tech||Electronic Knee Braces|
|Pressure Activated Robotic Arm||Talking Cash Counter For Visually Impaired|
|Smart Wheel Chair||Talking Lcd Display For Visually Impaired|
|Home Automation System||Splitter Box For Visually Impaired|
|Rf Based Alert System||Mind Mouse|
|Smart Vision||Intelligent Wheelchair|
|Assistive Aid For Speech Impaired||Patient Monitoring System|
|Hand Gripper||Smart Hat|
|Automated Belt System||Balance Shoe|
|Behaviour Modification Device||Heart Beat Sensor|
|Walkng Stick With Heart Attack Detector||Eye Ball Controlled Wheelchair|
|Powered Wheel Chair||Electric Auto|
|Handy Talk||Voice Activated Home Automation|
|Sensor For Deaf||Swam Robot|
|Android Powered Wheel Chair||Talking Box|
|Bacteria & Virus Detection||Smart Stick|
|Barcode Scanner For Visually Impaired (Hostellers)||Juke Box For Visually Impired|
|Email Access For Visual Ly Impaired||Talking Box|
|Email Access For The Blind(Hostellers)|
|Eye Blink And Alcohol Sensors & Mobile Applications For Android Phones (Hostellers)|
Awards for ATL
- ITsAP (The IT & ITES Industry Association of A.P.) recognizes the best Software Services Companies, Software products and (student) Entrepreneurship at its ‘Annual Awards & Software Products Showcase & Conference’. Student Team of BVRIT won the Student Entrepreneurship Award in the 2009 edition of the Conference held on 12th march 2010 at HICC, Madhapur, Hyderabad for their product ‘’Smart Stick’ developed for the visually impaired.
- Imagine Cup 2010 - The theme of the Contest is “ Imagine a World where technology helps solve the toughest problems”. This global competition is conducted annually by Microsoft to address the ‘Millennium Development Goals’ laid down by the UN. Three teams of BVRIT got selected to the second round (Semi-finals).
- Imagine Cup 2011 - 28 teams were shortlisted from India and 3 of these are from BVRIT.
- NASA Create the Future Design contest 2010 - This is an online international contest. The 2010 ‘Create the Future Design Contest’ sponsored by COMSOL Inc., PTC & Tech Briefs Media Group ( Publishers of NASA Tech Briefs) recognizes innovation in Product Design in 6 categories viz. Consumer Products, Machinery & Equipment, Medical, Safety & Security, Sustainable Technologies & Transportation. Team from BVRIT eleventh position the World Over in the Medical Category.
- JNTUH Tech Fest 2010 – Project of ATL Patient Monitoring System got first prize.
- International Conference BEATS (Biomedical Engineering & Assistive Technologies) - It was held at NIT Jalandhar in December 2010. Two papers submitted by our students got selected by an International Review Committee and were published in the Conference Proceedings. Details of the paper published and presented are
- Mind mouse - Ramya Bobba, Niketan Kapila, Spurthi Vavilala
- Voice automated wheelchair - Shyam Kumar
- Texas Instruments Analog Design contest 2010 - Texas Instruments – India conducts TI Analog Design Contest annually to encourage System level design projects using TI’s broad range of high performance analog integrated circuits. Three teams from BVRIT have participated in the TI Analog Design contest 2010. One of the teams won a prize amount of $1500 in the first round and US $3750 in the final round. They were adjudged the first runner up jointly with Amrita school of Engineering, Coimbatore for their innovative product.
- ITsAP 2012 Awards - Two projects from BVRIT received the best project awards in their respective categories in the Second Annual “Advantage AP” symposium jointly organized by the IT Ministry, Govt. of AP and ITsAP held at HICC, Hyderabad from June 21st to 22nd 2012. The names of the projects and the categories under which they got their awards are
- Patient Care under student innovation category
- Assist+ under best software product in MNC & ENT, Indian / Social Impact category.
- Sri Vishnu Educational Society receives the NCPEDP MPHASIS UNIVERSAL DESIGN AWARD 2012 at the 3rd NCPEDP Mphasis Universal Design Awards ceremony held at the India International Centre, New Delhi for its contribution towards the empowerment of physically challenged people through the initiatives of ATL.
Website: Assistive Technology Lab (ATL)