Civil Engineering Overview
Civil engineers are the most highly sought for building the global future. The present Civil Engineering practices in our country have certain defined targets and are aimed to:
- provide water supply for irrigation and drinking water needs;
- develop the minor, medium and major irrigation systems;
- provide the community housing and to investigate, design and manage the construction of multi-storey buildings;
- design a new road, free way or tunnel, bridges and manage their construction;
- provide various alternatives to relieve traffic congestion and to solve transport problems;
- mange the maintenance of the large bridges that link most cities;
- develop new ways of treating and reusing storm water and waste water to preserve precious resources;
- prevent contamination of soil and groundwater from industrial activities;
- design systems to control erosion in rivers and protect people from the devastation floods;
- develop the concept of a GREEN BUILDING that produces more electricity than it consumes and has a self-sufficient water supply;
- draw up innovative foundation systems for unstable soils;
- mitigate the natural disasters;
- design, plan and execute the environment friendly drainage and sewerage projects and
- work with a consortium to design eco-tourism lacustrine projects.
The mission of the Department of Civil Engineering is to develop highly competent professionals, preparing them for entry-level positions in Civil Engineering, life-long learning and societal leadership. Fostering intellectual growth of our students so that they may become productive citizens in the service of humanity. The Department is dedicated for providing a dynamic learning environment that emphasizes open-ended design & practical applications, problem-solving skills, team work, communication and leadership skills.
- In-depth coverage of curriculum including coverage of sub-disciplines of Civil Engineering: Geotechnical Engineering, Geo-Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Water Resources Engineering and Remote Sensing & GIS techniques applied to Civil Engineering;
- To engage students in creating innovative design solutions that include realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, health and safety, constructability, sustainability and global considerations;
- To provide undergraduate research experiences, allowing students to work closely with members of the faculty;
- To orient the students to Societal Problems connected to Civil Engineering;
- To industry academic orientation and
- To employ highly dedicated faculty members who are effective teacher-scholars committed in maintaining a learner-centered undergraduate environment with emphasis on student mentoring.
- To achieve Centre of Excellence in Civil Engineering;
- To establish Industry-Academia Relationship;
- To participate effectively with Government sponsored projects;
- To orient the students to Civil Engineering and Societal Problems and
- To achieve more number of research publications.
- Availability of dedicated, experienced and well qualified faculty;
- Active participation of the Management in the development activities;
- Well established labs and workshops;
- e-class rooms with multimedia facilities;
- Centrally air conditioned Seminar Hall/Auditorium;
- Hostels with internet facility;
- Central computing facility;
- Well established library with digital library including national and international journals and
- Good transport facilities.