Civil engineers are the most highly sought for building the global future. The present Civil Engineering practices in our country have certain defined targets and are aimed to:
- provide water supply for irrigation and drinking water needs;
- develop the minor, medium and major irrigation systems;
- provide the community housing and to investigate, design and manage the construction of multi-storey buildings;
- design a new road, free way or tunnel, bridges and manage their construction;
- provide various alternatives to relieve traffic congestion and to solve transport problems;
- mange the maintenance of the large bridges that link most cities;
- develop new ways of treating and reusing storm water and waste water to preserve precious resources;
- prevent contamination of soil and groundwater from industrial activities;
- design systems to control erosion in rivers and protect people from the devastation floods;
- develop the concept of a GREEN BUILDING that produces more electricity than it consumes and has a self-sufficient water supply;
- draw up innovative foundation systems for unstable soils;
- mitigate the natural disasters;
- design, plan and execute the environment friendly drainage and sewerage projects and
- work with a consortium to design eco-tourism lacustrine projects.
Why Civil Engineering
Students interested in working closely with society & serving the society can choose Civil Engineering. Providing various amenities & creating required infrastructure for all societal needs forms the prime goal of any Civil Engineer. The societal needs such as Shelter, Drinking Water & Waste Water Management, Movement of people & goods through various modes of transport such as Roadways, Railways, Airways & Urban Transportation Systems, Management of Water Resources through Dams & Reservoirs are addressed by a Civil Engineer. Communication, Organizational, Leadership and Decision making skills are very important to civil engineer as every infrastructure projects requires huge man power and team management. Key skills that differentiates a Civil Engineer from others are emotional intelligence and Creativity with societal responsibility.
Career Opportunities in Civil Engineering
Tremendous job opportunities await civil engineers every year as infrastructure needs of the state are continuous and ever increasing. Key job areas can be
- Govt. Organisation – Engineer Incharge positions in Irrigation, Road and Buildings, PanchayatiRaj, Rural Water Supply, Municipal Corporations, etc.,
- Private Organisations – Major infrastructure development companies such as L&T, Gammon India, HCC, GMR Infra, Navayuga Engineering Corporation, NCC, LASA, ShapoorjiPallonji Group, Numerous Thermal and Hydel Power Corporations, Medium Level Contractors, etc.,
- Public Sector Undertaking Companies (PSU's) - NRSC, Indian Railways (RRB), Survey of India, ONGC, NHPC, NTPC, HPCL, BPCL, BHEL, STEEL PLANT, ISRO etc.,
- Civil Engineers have a great chance to start their Entrepreneurial Ventures and Consulting Firms compared to other disciplines given the fact there is a large shortage of quality civil engineers.
- Higher Education and Research.
Current Industry Scenario
Infrastructure forms the basis of economy in the near future. There is a severe shortage of quality civil engineers in every corner of the country in Govt. and Pvt. Organizations. Every state in the country is gearing up for greater leaps in infrastructure development opening up numerous opportunities. Various Government proposals such Metro Transport in Tier-I and Tier-II cities, Smart Cities Mission, Road Development goals of 292 km of expressways etc., offer greater chances of employment for a quality civil engineer.
AT BVRIT, emphasis is given in equal proportions to both classroom knowledge and practical applications. Academic curriculum is designed to meet the expectations of industry and research organizations. Teaching learning process is designed to enable the students to acquire sound technical and practical knowledge. Add-on courses in addition to regular curriculum provide the students with necessary tools/ skills(apart from those in curriculum) being adopted in the industry.
In addition to add-on courses, Guest Lectures and Field Trips enable students to envision the most recent trends both in the technical and industry spheres. The department also offers consultancy to various Govt. and Pvt. Organizations that gives the students excellent opportunity to work on real time projects.
Further, Campus Recruitment Training (CRT) programs conducted on a regular basis help the students to develop general aptitude and communication skills. Special sessions are conducted for students interested in taking competitive examinations (GATE) and Mock Tests are also conducted enabling students assess their knowledge beforehand.
Study CIVIL @ BVRIT
- Highly Experienced Faculty with strong industry and academic background; 5 faculty hold Ph.D; 3 more faculty are pursuing doctoral research
- Well-equipped laboratories, Dedicated Department Library and Seminar hall
- Guest lectures by eminent faculty and industry personnel
- All round development through regular activities by Professional Body
- Career counselling for students.
- Add on programs to help students gain additional skill set (apart from curriculum) in tools such as STAAD PRO, GIS, Autodesk Revit, BIM, EPANET, Project Management Tools and be industry ready
To become a recognized leader in Civil Engineering education and nurturing competent Civil Engineers for providing better living environment, infrastructural facilities and protection of natural resources
The mission of the Department of Civil Engineering is to develop highly competent professionals, life-long learning and societal leadership. Fostering intellectual growth of the students to so that they become productive citizens in the service of humanity. The Department is dedicated to providing a dynamic learning environment that emphasizes open-ended design & practical applications, problem-solving skills, team work, communication and leadership Skills.
- In-depth coverage of curriculum including coverage of sub-disciplines of Civil Engineering: Geotechnical Engineering, Geo-Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Water Resources Engineering and Remote Sensing & GIS techniques applied to Civil Engineering;
- To engage students in creating innovative design solutions that include realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, health and safety, constructability, sustainability and global considerations;
- To provide undergraduate research experiences, allowing students to work closely with members of the faculty;
- To orient the students to Societal Problems connected to Civil Engineering;
- To industry academic orientation and
- To employ highly dedicated faculty members who are effective teacher-scholars committed in maintaining a learner-centered undergraduate environment with emphasis on student mentoring.
- To achieve Centre of Excellence in Civil Engineering;
- To establish Industry-Academia Relationship;
- To participate effectively with Government sponsored projects;
- To orient the students to Civil Engineering and Societal Problems and
- To achieve more number of research publications.
- Availability of dedicated, experienced and well qualified faculty;
- Active participation of the Management in the development activities;
- Well established labs and workshops;
- e-class rooms with multimedia facilities;
- Centrally air conditioned Seminar Hall/Auditorium;
- Hostels with internet facility;
- Central computing facility;
- Well established library with digital library including national and international journals and
- Good transport facilities.
|Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)|
|1. To provide students with a strong foundation in Civil Engineering by imparting basic knowledge in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Principles.|
|2. To develop students with technical expertise and skills for effective Planning, Design, Execution of Civil Engineering Works.|
|3. To develop professionalism, ethics, team work, leadership, and lifelong learning skills to fulfill the growing needs of society.|
|Programme Outcomes (POs)|
|The student will be able to:|
|PO 1: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.|
|PO 2: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.|
|PO 3:Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.|
|PO 4: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.|
|PO 5: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.|
|PO 6: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.|
|PO 7: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.|
|PO 8: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.|
|PO 9: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.|
|PO 10: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.|
|PO 11: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.|
|PO 12: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.|
|Programme Specific Outcomes|
|The student will be able to:|
|1. Analyze, Design, Construct, Maintain and Operate infrastructure projects in different seismic zones.|
|2. Adopt state-of-the-art practices and materials in the field of civil engineering and Provide sustainable solutions to the Civil Engineering|